We picked up some chicken sausage at the grocery store because it sounded like a more exciting version of a typical healthy chicken breast entrée- but I had no clue how to use it! So, I found this recipe on al fresco’s website and thought it sounded good. And guess what? It was real good.
Baked Penne with Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage and Red Wine
Makes 8 servings
1 12 oz pkg al fresco Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, Fully Cooked, cut into 1/2″ slices
Cooking Spray, olive oil
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Onion, white, fresh, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, fresh, minced
1/2 lb Mushrooms, fresh, sliced
1 tsp Rosemary, fresh, roughly chopped
1 can (28oz) Tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup Red Wine
3/4 lb whole wheat penne pasta
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese, part skim
2/3 cup Bread Crumbs, Italian style
1/4 cup Cheese, parmesan, fresh, grated
1 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Saute chicken sausage with 1 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
7. Toss pasta and sauce together. Spread half of the pasta mixture in the baking dish. Dot with spoonfuls of ricotta and then cover with the rest of the mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
8. In a small bowl, combine parmesan and breadcrumbs.
9. Remove dish from oven, then top with parmesan & breadcrumb mixture. Place in oven, uncovered until top is brown about 10 minutes.
Before baking the breadcrumb and cheese mixture: