Chase’s Status

I thought I would have time to update everyone on Chase’s status on a more regular basis but it seems that the last 6 days have just flown by!   

Thursday was such a blur- waiting felt like forever but all in all the day seemed quick.  It’s strange how that happens!  We got to the hospital at 5:30 in the morning to check in, then went to the surgery waiting area and Chase got called back to be prepped.  I was able to go back and wait with him once he was all prepped, which was nice.  I left him around 7:30am when they were taking him to the operating room.  St. Luke’s has surgery waiting down to a science- we got updated from the staff once the surgery “officially” started, once he was done and the surgeon would be out to talk with us, and then once he was being moved out of recovery.  Those updates were such a great comfort!  
 The first night was pretty tough for Chase.  He was in a lot of pain and uncomfortable.  He was able to rest the next day once he got some meds on board and that made a world of difference.  The surgeon said he could even go home that next day!  But with such a rough night, it felt like keeping him there for one more night would be beneficial.  He walked the halls that day and made good progress.  

This is a view from Chase’s room on the neuro floor- being on the 9th floor meant he got a pretty great view of downtown and the capital! 
Chase got to come home on Saturday and has been recovering very well. I’m so happy to see the old Chase starting to shine through the drug induced fog! He says he doesn’t like the way the narcotics are making him feel so he’s pretty much come completely off them and is just using Tylenol/Aleve and muscle relaxers for pain. Pretty impressive for only being home 4 days!

Max hasn’t left Chase’s side since he came home-  I’m sure he can sense something is a little different!  But Max sure is happy to have a buddy to relax with on the couch or in bed since Chase has to spend most of his time flat.  
We are still waiting on the biopsy results to know what type of tumor Chase has.  I thought the waiting game would be the hardest part but honestly I feel like we have been so preoccupied with Chase’s recovery and slowly easing him into activity that it hasn’t been an excruciating wait.  But don’t get me wrong, we are all very anxious!  We have a follow up next Wednesday so I would imagine if we haven’t heard by then, the surgeon will go over the results during the appointment. 

We are so thankful for all the support we have received this last week.  We are extremely lucky to have such caring friends and family!  I don’t feel like I can even express the gratitude I feel- thank you just doesn’t seem enough!  


You may also like


  1. Oh Lana,
    I have been thinking of you guys so much lately. Glad to hear he is progressing back to himself! You’ve got so much on your plate right now. Taking care of yourself, your baby, and your “other baby!” You are in our thoughts and prayers!

    Love, Suzanne (Miller) Kleppen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *