Around our house, we have been focusing on eating healthier as summer time rolls around- something about the warmer weather just makes us want lighter food and more water! Some healthy habits we have started (and hopefully will stay around):
1. Food Logging: MyFitnessPal has been amazing and logging regularly helps us stay on track with our goals. We do allow ourselves a cheat day where we don’t worry about staying under our caloric goal but we still log it so we don’t go too crazy!
2. Read Labels: There are so many foods that have hidden sugars, sodium, etc. It is best just to be aware! For example, I love greek yogurt. But the Greek yogurts I was eating had upwards of 20 grams of sugar! Now, I buy plain greek yogurt and add a little honey to it.
3. Measuring and Weighing Food: I have found it is way to easy to eat a whole bag of chips with hummus if I’m just eating them out of the bag. But guess what? That is, like, 5 servings! To keep myself in line (and make it easier to log my food) I measure out my food before I eat. Scales are amazing too, because who knows how to eyeball a serving that is 3 grams? I sure don’t! I also like to use ramkins as serving dishes for yogurt or cottage cheese- they hold about 1/2 cup which is perfect for those foods!
4. Drink Water: Water is so important- always try for 8 full glasses of water! And for those of you who hate the boringness of it, I suggest trying sparkling water (but see #2- beware of excess sodium. Some brands have zero grams of sodium, which is perfect!). You can also add lemon, cucumber or mint leaves to your water for a little extra flavor! Ever since reading French Women Don’t Get Fat, I have always had one full glass of water in the morning right when I wake up and one at night before bed. It’s an easy trick to get two extra glasses into my day!
5. Aim for 10,000 Steps: when I track my steps (my phone does it automatically) I find I park further away at stores or work and I take walk breaks throughout the day. 10,000 is a good goal- I usually get half throughout my day and then Chase and I go for a walk in the evening together for the last 5,000.
Also, salads have been a go to meal, and I am loving this fennel orange salad inspiration from Not Your Standard. See Kayla’s post below!
Fennel Orange Salad
If you know me well, then you know my love for a good salad. I’m a strong believer in eating healthy and I try to make sure that any food going in to my body is beneficial for me. I’ve been asked a lot recently what I eat on a regular basis and since it’s such a significant part of my life, I definitely want to share it all with you. So, come July, I will be showing you a lot more of my daily routines and eating habits. Let me know if you have any special requests in the meantime!
For now, here is a simple and fresh fennel and orange salad that is the perfect side dish. Since I hardly eat any meat, I tend to create summer recipes around different kinds of fish. This salad creates a nice acidic balance to salmon or any white fish. Find this recipe and my strawberry mint quinoa salad over on my weekly food column.