The Second Time Around

I have not been great about updating the blog with Chase’s surgery this time- it seems that between caring for a three week old and visiting the hubby in the hospital and then trying to care for myself as well took all my energy!  
For those of you who didn’t know, Chase had his second back surgery on Monday. This surgery was to remove the tumor in his spinal cord that has been causing him so much discomfort over the years. Here is how our week went:


Chase went into surgery around noon and it lasted around 5 hours. The surgery was successful at removing (almost all of) the tumor and revealed that the tumor wasn’t just .75 inches long like expected but was more like 10 INCHES (no, that’s not a typo) long and the size of a pinkie finger around! The surgeon felt that paralysis of the lower extremities would have been extremely close if Chase had not undergone the operation.  

While Chase was in surgery, I had my mom and a good friend keep Lucy and me preoccupied with shopping around Hyde Park. Chase was smart in wanting Lucy kept out of the germ infested hospital, even though we both wanted to be there so badly!

After his surgery, he spent the night in ICU. I was able to go visit him once he was awake and he seemed much more “with it” after this surgery! He was pretty shocked to hear about how long the tumor was- his response was, “You mean centimeters, right?” Nope, ha! 


The day after surgery, the physical therapists started to work with Chase. Once he was up and moving, some of the temporary surgery side affects reared their ugly heads, such as a delay and foot drop in his right leg and foot.   While it is temporary, it still is freaky for Chase to experience and having to relearn to walk has been extremely tiresome.  Tuesday consisted mainly of getting transferred to the neuro recovery floor and sleeping in between physical therapy sessions. 


Wednesday consisted of more physical therapy and resting for Chase.  An occupational therapist also came to work with him on some everyday activity motions. 


Chase got to come home!  He had another session of physical therapy at the hospital and then discharged in the early afternoon. 


We went to outpatient physical therapy, where the therapist seemed very pleased with the motion Chase does have in his right leg, even though it is delayed.  Going to PT was a big outing, so the rest of the day was mostly resting. 

We all are so happy Chase is home- even Max doesn’t want to leave his side.  And while he can’t lift Lucy, Chase still likes her to be cuddled on his chest when possible.  She has been a little ray of sunshine during this go around! 


Poor guy was pretty sick because of the pain medication so yesterday was all about getting that under control. By the evening he was doing much better! 

Our week has been pretty full, to say the least. Chase pulled through surgery like a champ and has made so much progress since Tuesday with learning to use his right leg again.  He has even walked to the kitchen without his walker a few times.  Although I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing!   As of now, he is to focus on rest, rest, rest and little, short moments of walking upright.  

Hopefully this answers any questions for those of you who were wondering!  Thank you again for keeping us in your thoughts- we appreciate it. 


You may also like


  1. Thank you for sharing. The pictures are so special. Keep putting one step in front of the other. Love you all.

  2. Thinking of you three! I hope Chase’s recovery goes well and that soon ya’ll can just soak up fun new experiences with that sweet little baby girl!

  3. Thinking about you guys! Glad surgery went good! Brighter days ahead! Hugs and love to your family!!!

    Carrie Moore

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *